Academy & Emmy Award winner, Eva Orner is an Australian filmmaker currently living in Los Angeles, California.
Best known for her films Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator; Out of Iraq; Taxi to the Darkside; and Chasing Asylum; the filmmaker has just spent this last summer in Australia creating her latest project with actress & producer Cate Blanchett. The duo have come together to create Amazon's first Australian Original feature-length documentary, Burning, which looks at the deadly Australian bushfires of 2019-2020, known as the 'Black Summer', and tells the stories of perspective victims of the fires, activists and scientists. It was during this time in her home country that she discovered her favourite SPF brand... We Are Feel Good Inc. Aren't we so lucky?!
We sat down and asked Eva a few questions:
1. Describe yourself in three words.
Determined, empathetic, goofy
2. So, tell us a little bit about what’s been going on – COVID has put a lot of things on hold the last year or so, what has this meant for you and your career as a filmmaker?
I’ve been very lucky and feel so grateful. I was able to come to Australia, from LA where I’m based, for 6 months to shoot a new feature documentary BURNING for Amazon Prime Video about the fires of Black Summer and climate change. Australia was such a haven during Covid. I’m now back in LA in post-production on the film and working on several other projects.
3. What is your greatest achievement so far?
Being content – being in a loving relationship, doing work that I find fulfilling and challenging, having great friends.
4. Filmmaking aside, what’s your favourite thing to do?
5. Where did you grow up/where are you living now?
I grew up in Melbourne. I’ve been based in the US since 2004 and LA is now home.
6. Who do you look too for inspiration or motivation?
People who are living their life as they want to. So many people seem stuck or unhappy and I find people living life with meaning really inspire me.
7. It’s been a tough year for many. What’s helped you stay positive and active?
While we were in lockdown in LA I was busy with work and tried to keep a regular routine. I did a lot of yoga and rode my peloton bike a lot. My boyfriend is Italian and a wonderful cook, so we ate well. And as the restrictions lifted, we spent a lot of time sailing. We sailed to Catalina Island almost every weekend last summer which was a lifesaver. It was so good escaping the city and swimming, snorkeling and paddle boarding in a beautiful, pristine remote place.
8. What’s your favourite We Are Feel Good Inc. product & why?