We’re beyond excited to announce that we've teamed up with Precious Plastic Margaret River to launch our new 2020 We Are Feel Good Inc. Bottle Recycling Program.
In Australia, sunscreen is classified as a cosmetic or therapeutic good. As all of our products are SPF 50+, we fall into the therapeutic category. This means all our packaging must be either glass, aluminum or food-grade/virgin plastic. We cannot use recycled plastics as these can hold contaminants, even after recycling.
To date, we haven't found a suitable alternative to the food-grade plastic packaging we currently use, however, our bottles are 100% recyclable once used.
If my Feel Good bottles are 100% recyclable, why do I need to join the recycling program?
Well, the big issue is that the majority of recyclable products don’t actually get recycled, even when they are put into a recycling bin.
In order for recyclable plastics to be recycled, they need to have their lid separated and be washed before they go into the bin. Even if you do this, another person may not and when their bottle comes into contact with yours at the rubbish depot, it may contaminate yours and thus the entire batch will be sent-off to landfill! Not many of us realise this when we pop our recycle-goods into our wheelie bins each week.
Did you know:
- An average of 300 million tonnes of plastic are used globally each year. 50% of which are used for single-use purposes.
- More than 8 million tonnes of plastic are dumped into our oceans each year.
- The average Australian uses 130kg of plastic each year, and only 9% is recycled due to the many types of plastics used in the average household and the misinformation on recycling.
- There are seven types of household plastics. Please refer to our Recycling Guide below to see what can be recycled from your current curbside recycling bin.
- All We Are Feel Good Inc. products are made from numbers 2 and 5, which both have the ability to be reused up to 7 times if recycled properly.
- There are currently 30 We Are Feel Good Inc. collection points in WA, 20 across NSW and VIC, and the list keeps growing.
- Approximately 200 We Are Feel Good Inc. bottles are required to make a single comb, so start saving your bottles!
Read the 2018 Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy, and New South Wales, Victorian and Western Australian state agencies Australian Plastics Recycling Survey here.
So we've decided to work with a local Plastic Recycling plant to take matters into our own hands.
Introducing, Narelle and Stijn, from Precious Plastic Margaret River (PPMR) who are working with a worldwide ‘Precious Plastic Community’ to turn plastic waste into useful and beautiful plastic objects.
In particular, they source and recycle plastics lids (no bigger than your palm) which are sometimes hard to re-purpose. Plastic lids are too small for council recycling machines, meaning they fall through the cracks and are not recycled like other bigger items. Lids sent or dropped to Precious Plastic are washed, sorted by plastic-type, then sorted again by colour before being melted and moulded into new up-cycled plastic items.
Plastics lids are too small for council recycling machines, meaning they fall through the cracks and are not recycled like other bigger items. Lids sent or dropped to Precious Plastic are washed, sorted by plastic-type, then sorted again by colour before being melted and moulded into new up-cycled plastic items.
Precious Plastic Margret River normally only takes lids, but they have come on board with The We Are Feel Good Inc. Bottle Recycling Program to ensure our bottles, lids (& all other lids) are up-cycled. It’s important to note that PPMR is a volunteer-run, not for profit organisation. Did we mention that PPMR is a volunteer-run, not for profit organisation? How awesome is that?
Currently, PPMR is creating (handmade) pot plants, tapas dishes, surfboard fins and wax combs. Head to their website to purchase one of these up-cycled items.
Note: If you’re going to deliver your plastics to a Plastic Recycling plant, please remember to wash and separate your bottles and lids first.
What can I do at home to get involved?
1. Wash your empty plastic bottles & lids using warm soapy water or vinegar and drop them to a We Are Feel Good Inc. collection point. Find your nearest collection point here.
2. If you can’t get to a collection point, no worries, you can post We Are Feel Good Inc. bottles and lids to our headquarters after you collect x10. Be sure you have washed your plastics as directed and email email@example.com for your prepaid shipping label.
3. Help us #spreadthefeelgood by collecting bottles from your friends and family too!
~ Share a photo of your parcel & bottles by tagging @wearefeelgoodinc and #feelgoodrecycling ~
View our collection points, and if there isn't one near you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will chat to your nearest stockist about joining the tribe.
We believe it is our responsibility to take care of our planet and recycle responsibly. We cannot solve global warming, but we can help educate and change a person’s habit. We would like to thank those who make an effort to support our program, so we have created monthly prizes and a great yearly prize for everyone who returns bottles to one of our collection points or collects x10 bottles and sends them to We Are Feel Good Inc.