Hello summer, you fine thing you. It’s the 1st of December and here in Oz that means we have three months of delightfully warm weather ahead, longer days, beach visits and you guessed it... sunscreen!
Yes, sunscreen is important all year round, but with the UV intensity kicking it up a notch, it’s more important than ever during summer. But using sunscreen isn't out only suggestion. There are many other things you can do to ensure your skin is protected from the sun during your outdoor activities.
We Are Feel Good Inc. Co-founder and Skin Cancer Physician, Dr. Scott McGregor’s Top 10 Tips for skin protection this summer:
1. Use a broad spectrum sunscreen every day, even when cloudy.
2. Apply your favourite sunscreen 20 minutes before going out and reapply every two hours or after swimming and excessive sweating. Our sunscreens are all made with added Vitamin E and Aloe Vera to nourish your skin.
3. Don’t forget about your lips!
4. Cover up. That means a wide-brimmed hat, sunnies and a lightweight, long-sleeved shirt (if you can stand the heat). We know it can be tough when the weather’s so good, but try to limit the amount of time you’re in the sun between 10am and 4pm, when the sun's rays are the most intense.
5. Stay mindful of exposure to direct sunlight. Take your beach umbrella with you or find some shade. While shade reduces UV radiation, those pesky rays can still reach you by reflecting off surfaces, so it’s best to combine shade with other forms of sun protection.
6. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of H2O. Water is essential to maintaining the skin’s moisture. It delivers vital nutrients to the skin cells, helping to nourish the skin tissue and assists in maintaining skin elasticity. You should aim to drink 2-3L per day and don’t wait until you’re thirsty. Carry a drink bottle with you and sip on it all day.
7. Exfoliate and moisturise! Before you rinse off, make sure you exfoliate all over to remove dead skin cells and moisturise right after. Clearing your skin first will improve hydration from moisturising. Our new Kakadu Plum Body Milk is loaded with antioxidants and enriched with native Australian Kakadu Plum Extract and Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), keeping your skin silky smooth. Our Coco Milk is enriched with Vitamin E and shea butter to keep your skin soft and silky, with the smell of a tropical holiday.
8. Keep your showers short (and cold). With warmer weather and more adventure time, many of us may be taking more showers than usual. Well, those hot showers after sun exposure are especially drying to your skin, so try a cold one. It’ll cool you off too!
9. Don’t itch your bug-bites! Soothe and repair with our Pawpaw Nectar, the perfect addition to your household medicine drawer.
10. Most importantly, have fun and #spreadthefeelgood