With dropping temperatures, who isn't dreaming of a sneaky getaway! We have rounded up our five favourite escapes in and around Australia, from tropical islands to snow-covered mountains, there's something to suit everyone's holiday style.
The tropical island paradise is home to not only some of the most iconic surf breaks and stunning landscapes but also to world-class restaurants, an abundance of hip cafes (for a cheeky burger or two) and affordable private villas to stay, making it an enticing destination for every budget.
Sundays Beach Club, Uluwatu | Image by @dom.overseas
Merah Putih, Seminyak | Image by @dom.overseas
How To Get To Bali
Bali is only a short flight from Australia – and if you keep your eyes open you can secure some awesome deals!
How Many Days To Spend In Bali
Whether you just wish to escape winter for a couple of days or two weeks – Bali is always a great idea!
2-5 days | We love staying in the Seminyak & Canggu area for the island’s best shopping and dining options. Don’t forget to apply your face sunscreen when venturing around town! If you’d love a quieter seaside escape, make sure to book accommodation in Uluwatu. Our reef-friendly sunscreen has your beach adventures covered! A remote jungle town with some of the best yoga studios on the island sounds enticing? Ubud is the spot for you!
6+ days | Besides spending days in Seminyak, Canggu, Ubud and Uluwatu, you have to go island hopping! Visit one of our favourite nearby paradises; Nusa Lembongan, Nusa Ceningan & Nusa Penida to escape the crowds and experience real island living (our favourite kind of escape).
Where To Sleep In Bali
Seminyak | Katamama
Canggu | ZIN B&B and Villas
Uluwatu | Mick’s Place
What To Do In Bali
- Shop home wares in Seminyak, our favourite stop: Kim Soo.
- Take a beginner’s surf lesson on Canggu’s Echo Beach.
- Climb Mount Batur volcano during the night to witness sunrise.
- Enjoy sunset drinks at Sundays Beach Club in Uluwatu with beach bonfires.
- Indulge in world-class food at the island’s best restaurants; must-visits: Merah Putih and Mamasan in Seminyak, The Slow in Canggu as well as Locavore in Ubud.
- Treat yourself to daily massages and beauty treatments. We love visiting The Cottage Beauty House in Seminyak and Spring Spa in Canggu! For the ultimate pamper day book in at Fivelements in Ubud.
Queenstown, New Zealand
Queenstown in New Zealand is the perfect choice for your winter getaway if you love dressing up in cosy winter clothes, outdoor activities with stunning views and great food!
Queenstown, New Zealand | Image by @karinechu518
Queenstown, New Zealand | Image by @thetrendspotter
How To Get To Queenstown
Almost all major airlines offer direct flights to Queenstown (ZQN) airport from all around Australia.
How Many Days To Spend In Queenstown
Why not stay a week if you are venturing to beautiful New Zealand. This will give you plenty of time to soak in the fresh air and indulge in all the great food Queenstown has to offer!
Where To Sleep In Queenstown
What To Do In Queenstown
- Go skiing at Coronet Peak (and don’t forget to apply your face sunscreen!).
- Relax at Onsen Hot Pools (7km from Queenstown).
- Eat, eat, eat – Queenstown has an abundance of mouthwatering restaurants, a favourite being Fergburger.
- Also named the in-official capital of adventure, you can easily get your adrenaline fix from an array of experiences - bungee jumping, rafting, canyon swinging and beyond!
Fraser Island, Queensland, Australia
Being much less crowded in winter months yet still warm enough to camp outside, Fraser Island is the perfect choice to get outdoors, switch off your phone and immerse yourself in the beautiful nature.
Lake Mackenzie, Fraser Island | Image by @dom.overseas
The Cape, Fraser Island | Image by @dom.overseas
How To Get To Fraser Island
Fraser Island, one of the largest sand islands in the world, is accessible via 4WD vehicles only. You can book public tours but we recommend either renting your own 4WD, or nagging your Queensland friends to take you! You can purchase your barge and camping tickets online here.
How Many Days To Spend On Fraser Island
Anytime between 2 – 5 days is the perfect amount of days to spend on Fraser Island! Depending whether you travel from afar or a bit more local, it is always great to switch off the phone during your camping holiday (expect patchy reception!) and spend time in undisturbed nature!
Where To Sleep On Fraser Island
There is accommodation available on the island however if you would love to beat the crowds and backpacker tours, we’d recommend bringing your own camping gear and go past Indian Head further up north to set up camp.
What To Do On Fraser Island
- Get up with sunrise and go to bed with sunset.
- Bring fishing gear, lemon, seasoning and a BBQ for the ultimate outdoor cuisine.
- Go exploring – Fraser Island has some of Australia’s most stunning nature to offer – from Maldives-like Lake Mackenzie to endless dunes.
- Swim in the lagoon and go for a hike at Indian Head – and stay out of the ocean as shark sightings are frequent.
- Be dingo-safe! The wild dogs call the island their home and rangers have created helpful leaflets which you will receive when purchasing the barge tickets.
Byron Bay & Bangalow, New South Wales, Australia
Iconic Byron Bay has always been top of the list for a sneaky weekend getaway but you shouldn't miss inland country town Bangalow either! A 20-minute drive from Byron Bay and the coast line, it is home to some of Australia's most inspiring and dreamy interior & fashion stores.
Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia | Image by @takeajourney_withkim
Bisque Store in Bangalow, New South Wales, Australia | Image by @ablondieabroad
How To Get To Byron Bay & Bangalow
Fly into the Gold Coast (OOL) or Ballina (BNK) airport where you can either rent a car or take the airport express bus into town.
How Many Days To Spend In Byron Bay & Bangalow
Northern NSW has plenty to offer – from stunning nature to culinary highlights and enticing shopping opportunities, plan to stay between two and five days!
Where To Sleep In Byron Bay & Bangalow
Byron Bay | 28 Degrees Byron Bay
Bangalow | Palm Tree Retreat
What To Do In Byron Bay & Bangalow
- Hike along the coastline to the light house and soak in the stunning ocean views.
- Sample the local cuisine at hotspots like Top Shop café, Three Blue Ducks at The Farm or Harvest Newrybar.
- Shop up a storm at local brands Auguste The Label, Rowie The Label and Bisque Traders.
- Browse the local Sunday Bangalow market (every 4th Sunday of the month, browse the dates here).
- Visit Minyon Falls (26km from Bangalow) for beautiful views and a swim.
Margaret River, Western Australia, Australia
Yep, you'll find paradise in our own backyard! Known for its beautiful nature, stunning coast lines and vast array of wineries, Margaret River in Western Australia is the ultimate winter escape (if we do say so ourselves). Snuggle up next to a fire place while sampling the local wines and culinary highlights.
Margaret River, Western Australia, Australia | Image by @shotbyloky
Vasse Felix Wine Estate, Western Australia, Australia | Image by @vassefelixwines
How To Get To Margaret River
If you don't already live on the west coast, your best option is to fly directly into Perth (PER) and rent a car at the airport to make your way down south along our picturesque coast line.
How Many Days To Spend in Margaret River
Depending on where are you travelling from, spending between two to four days is perfect.
Where To Sleep In Margaret River
What To Do In the Margaret River Region
- Watch world-class surfers at our local; Yallingup beach.
- Go on a local winery tour - we adore Vasse Felix Wine Estate!
- Go for a swim at Smiths Beach (and don’t forget to apply our reef-friendly sunscreen!)
- Visit the Busselton jetty and visit their underwater aquarium.
- Head to Quinninup falls for a dip.